Albuquerque Dental Checkups
Why Routine Oral Checkups Matter
Without a solid foundation, your magnificent smile won't last long. Regular exams and good home care form the basis for optimal dental health. As a general dentist, Dr. Boehmer promotes preventive care to save our patients time, money, and headaches later.
Oral Hygiene Tips from your Dentist in Albuquerque
The care you give your teeth and gums in between your visits to our Albuquerque dental office are just as important as your biannual dental checkups. With this in mind, Dr. Boehmer wants to make sure that you’re brushing and flossing your teeth as well as possible. Here are some tips for getting the most out of your at-home oral hygiene routine.
- Always use a toothbrush with soft bristles; harder bristles may feel as if they’re cleaning better, but they may actually be scratching the enamel on your teeth.
- Choose toothpaste with fluoride, a mineral that strengthens enamel and thereby reduces your risk of tooth decay and cavities
- Hold your brush at a 45-degree angle against your teeth, which allows you to also brush along the gum where plaque is more likely to accumulate
- Be sure to brush the inside, outside and biting surface of each tooth
- When you floss, use approximately 18 inches, so you have a fresh segment of floss between each pair of teeth
- Move the floss up and down and back and forth, taking care to gently reach below the gum along each tooth
A Dental Checkup in Albuquerque
During your six-month hygiene maintenance appointment, our team will complete a comprehensive exam of your mouth that includes an oral cancer screening. Oral and pharyngeal cancer claim more than 9,000 American lives each year. During a screening, we check for sores in your mouth or on your lips that aren’t healing; a lump or thickened tissue; a red or white scaly patch on any soft tissue; and raised areas along your jaw, in your neck or around your ears.
We’ll also conduct a bite assessment and periodontal analysis. A misaligned bite may not only impact the appearance of your smile, but also your comfort. Symptoms of TMJ, temporomandibular joint disorder, can result from bite misalignment. Dr. Boehmer may recommend wearing an oral appliance if she discovers a problem with your bite.
The health and beauty of your smile is directly connected to the condition of your gums. At each checkup, our dental hygienist will examine your gums and probe the depths of gum pockets that surround your teeth. Pockets that are deeper than four millimeters may be indicative of gum disease. Other signs include:
- Red, swollen and bleeding gums
- Bad breath
- The presence of plaque and tartar
- Shifting or loose teeth
Left untreated, gingivitis, periodontitis and advanced periodontitis can lead to needing teeth extracted. To avoid this, Dr. Boehmer and her staff offer periodontal therapy to restore your healthy smile.
Checkups are also the time for a tooth-by-tooth inspection. DIAGNOdent, our cavity detection laser, enables Dr. Boehmer to find weak areas before the decay actually occurs. With DIAGNOdent, we can stop decay and prevent larger dental issues.
We offer a variety of preventive care services and products, including routine oral cancer and blood pressure screenings.
- Breath Treatment with CloSYS II® and Breath Rx™
- Hard and Soft Tissue Exams
- Patient Education
- Periodontal Maintenance
- Nightguards or Mouthguards
If you are ready to experience dentistry tailored to your needs, call our Albuquerque dental office and schedule an appointment with Dr. Boehmer. Our relaxing, northeast heights Albuquerque office is easy to access. Stop in and see how see how our personalized dental services can transform your smile.